The baskets were so beautiful this week that Rachel and I were a tad bit jealous! Can you blame us? Truly it is OK since we are also members of this CSA and we harvest for ourselves when we harvest for you. Here is a meal that we did Sunday evening with our baskets. It was so good that we thought we would share!
If you have followed our recipes then you know that we really REALLY hate waste. So at our home we reinvent leftovers quite often. This is especially so on the weekends when I really have tired of cooking. So for the beginning of the recipe I’ll share the pasta which happened to be the left over portion.
I used Rigatoni pasta Saturday night to go with the meatballs in tomato sauce instead of Angel Hair pasta. After cooking I did the following:
- Drain pasta.
- Add back to pot and place on a no heat on the burner.
- Add 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese.
- Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and stir until the pasta is well coated.
- Season to taste – we used our own home grown dried basil.
The Garden Fresh
When we say garden fresh we usually are referring to the fact that it was freshly harvested from the garden. While we used items from our weekly baskets and other fresh produce, this recipe really will work with just about any vegetables you have on hand – fresh or frozen.
Ingredients – All of the ingredients were diced finely.
- 3 small eggplant (totaling 6 oz)
- 5 ounces winter greens
- 2 small turnip roots
- 1 small bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 radish root
- Add your freshly diced produce to 2 tablespoons warm olive oil and saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Season to taste – We used an all purpose seasoning here.
- At this point I put a small amount into a bowl and sent it into the living room for Mr. Bain Home Gardener to try. All I heard was “WOW!” So if you would like to stop here and just enjoy your veggies, you will not be disappointed!
- Add pasta and be sure to blend well.
As we transition from Fall to Winter there will be beautiful greens and root crops in abundance! WE CANT WAIT! Rest assured that we will be cooking more and more garden fresh meals and we will try our best to save the best ones to create more easy yet tasty recipes – from our family to yours!